Microsoft Safety Scanner (msert.exe) is malware removal tool developed by Microsoft for Windows Operating Systems. It scans the system, find malware and try to reverse changes made by identified threats. Microsoft Safety Scanner is also known as Microsoft Support Emergency Response Tool. This is not an antimalware solution and it will not give you real time protection against malwares.
Supported OS: Windows 10, Windows 10 Tech Preview, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server Tech Preview, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2008
How to scan Windows using Microsoft Safety Scanner ?
- Download Microsoft Safety Scanner (download link given below) and run it as administrator.
- Accept the end user license and click “Next” button
- Click the Next button
- Select scan type
- Select “Full Scan” type , if you want to thoroughly scan your computer for malware. This scan may take several hours to complete.
- Choose “Quick Scan” type to scan areas of the system most likely to contain viruses, spyware, and other potential unwanted software. If such software is found, you may prompt to run a full scan.
- After selecting the scan type click “Next” to begin the scan process.
Microsoft Safety scanner will list all identified threats. Remove all identified threats.