[SOLVED]* Windows 7 error code 0x80070037

Posted on: Aug 25 2012 Category :Windows > Windows7 Hardware Compatibility Views: 38529 | Subscribe

Solved : Go to Solution

I purchased an external drive to use as a backup. My laptop is a dell M6400 with windows 7 64 bit operating system. When i turn the drive on the computer sees the drive, after i try to use it to back up anything to it i get the error 0x80070037 "drive not ready/not available" then it disappears from the computer. To make the computer see drive again, i need to turn the drive off and on then the computer shows the drive. This is the third drive that this has happened before.I'm the only administrator/user of this computer. The computer has 8G of ram, 2 internal hard drives and it is being used with a docking station that has a 24" monitor connected to it. I tried connecting the drive directly to the computer via the eSATA connection and it does the same thing.

• Is the external drive formatted with NTFS?
  • Connect the HDD directly to computer without USB extension or hub.
  • Download and install the latest USB drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website.
  • Is there any problem if you connect the same HDD in other PC or laptop ?
  • Is Windows "Power Management" turning off the HDD ? Disable it and try.

I recommend you to read "Cougar Point chipset flaw"  :   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge
    From Wikipedia ..
    On January 31, 2011, Intel issued a recall on all 67-series motherboards due to a flaw in the Cougar Point Chipset. A hardware problem, in which the chipset's SATA-II ports may fail over time, cause failure of connection to SATA-II devices, though data is not at risk. Intel claims that this problem will affect only 5% of users over 3 years, however, heavier I/O workloads can exacerbate the problem.
    Intel stopped production of flawed B2 stepping chipsets and began producing B3 stepping chipsets with the silicon fix. Shipping of these new chipsets started on 14 February 2011 and Intel estimated full recovery volume in April 2011.Motherboard manufacturers (such as ASUS and Gigabyte Technology) and computer manufacturers (such as Dell and Hewlett-Packard) stopped selling products that involved the flawed chipset and offered support for affected customers. Options ranged from swapping for B3 motherboards to product refunds.
    Sandy Bridge processor sales were temporarily on hold, as one cannot use the CPU without a motherboard. However, processor release dates were not affected. After two weeks, Intel continued shipping some chipsets, but manufacturers had to agree to a set of terms that will prevent customers from encountering the bug.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Get email updates. Virus Removal Tips, News, How to, Threat Alerts.

Leave a comment!

Get Answers, News and other Updates