Welcome to Ebugg-i.com

Thanks for coming to Ebugg-i.com.

Ad blocker detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. We need to pay our bills (hosting charges) and we can't do that for free. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website and whitelist our website.
Please disable ad blocker and reload this web page
Close this message

[HELP] 14.04 Desktop installed on a mdadm raid 5 with 5x1TB drives

Posted on: Jun 26 2014 Category :Linux > Ubuntu Views: 924 | Subscribe

Hi all,Ok I am very frustrated with trying to install Ubuntu Desktop 14.04 on my HTPC/media machine. I want this machine to both download and host my TV shows and movies and also record TV. Alas I am stuck on this... Trying to create a raid 5 setup with 5 1TB hard drives. I partition the md0 raid drive into 2 partitions, one for swap and one for the actual storage. Then on /dev/sda I have 2 partitions, one 200MB (/dev/sda1) partition to install the grub bootloader for EFI and the rest of the 1TB on /dev/sda2. Oh yeah forgot to mention that, I'm installing this on a UEFI bios system. So the first time around with the installer I selected the bootloader to be installed on /dev/sda not /dev/sda1. The installer would crash at the grub-install part. Then I tried to setup the /dev/sda1 as a EFI boot partition and tell it to install the bootloader to that partition and still would get the same crash error.I tried to install the grub bootloader manually to /dev/sda but after reboot, nothing boots up.I have searched and searched online on how to do this and I can't seem to get a consistent answer out there. There's tons of examples for the server version of the install media but that doesn't help me since I want to run XBMC and record TV, therefore I need a GUI front end.Any help would be great and if we can get it fixed I recommend we sticky this as a guide for people new to trying to setup raid on linux with mdadm.I'm mostly experienced with windows systems and raid setup, so running linux on a raid setup is a little new to me.Any help will be greatly appreciated!-FurmanSK

Post your comments/solution

Get email updates. Virus Removal Tips, News, How to, Threat Alerts.

Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac and PC

Leave a comment!